Tuesday, October 29, 2013

We ALL need to grow younger!

 And he said: “Truly I tell you, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven. Matthew 18:3

I think I'm goin' back
To the things I learned so well in my youth
I think I'm returning to
Those days when I was young enough to know the truth


Sung by The Byrds  Written by Gerry Goffin and Carole King

I'm not planning a journey, soon, to the land of Bimini in search of the Fountain of Youth, but
I am thinking that there is value in paying attention to the words and actions of Jesus. It
is clear, I believe, that Jesus held a special place in His heart for children. He spoke more
than once about the need not only value children but also to be more like them. He was
unhappy when others tried to keep them quiet or away from Him. 

 "Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these."  Matthew 19:14


We all seem so anxious to grow older when we are young. There are the "moments of 
passage," ages 18, 21, etc. Once we achieve adulthood, chronologically speaking, we are
faced with many changes that make life a lot more complicated. From where I am today,
I think it's pretty important to try and regain some of the qualities we may have lost as
we became older.

We are God's children. Children are certainly more dependent in many ways. Like a
child, we need to become more dependent upon God and less on our own ways. Children
are more likely to be trusting. Trusting God and His ways are instrumental in living
a life that glorifies Him and not ourselves. Children are more likely to be amazed at
things. Standing in awe of our God pleases Him and places us in a position of
reverence and thankfulness for the blessings He has graciously afforded us.

Childlike not childish. Allowing God to hold onto our hands as we walk in this world.
It's not so hard to work at being a child, again! 


No comments:

Post a Comment