Thursday, October 24, 2013

Tear encounters of the third kind

And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away. Rev. 21: 4

Sad tears, glad tears and those "other" tears....

We are all far too familiar with tears of sadness. I suppose, statistically, they represent
the majority of tears that flow in our lifetimes. Tears when a loved one passes away. Tears
when we are separated from someone. Tears when we are injured or sick, depressed or
lonely. Tears when we are frightened.. the list goes on.

Then there are tears of joy. Tears when we see someone we love who has been gone from
our lives. Tears when we accomplish something like a graduation or a successful
endeavor. Tears when someone we love finds a soul mate and marries. These are
usually the result of cherished moments that remain with us in the playback of our
lives.

But there is another type of tear. I'm not sure what to call it but I believe it comes
directly from the soul. It's spontaneous, emotional and uncontrolled. I'm better at
examples then definition, here.
   -The 1812 Overture when the cannons explode during the ending. Every time I hear this...
tears just flow. 

  -"Awesome God" sung by Rich Mullins. When, during the refrain, the singers get to the word
"reigns" I just start blubbering. Happens every time. You should try it... with a kleenex.

  -Ohio Stadium, the Horseshoe, when the large American flag is hoisted up the endzone
flagpole with the band playing the National Anthem...yep...tears, again

I would call these tears a visceral response, a flow of emotion that just comes upon
us, suddenly. I've even noticed my body shaking in response. Did I mention Niagara
Falls when the colored lights are on?

We are told that there will be no tears when we get to Heaven. God will wipe them
away. I think these are the tears of sadness,. I have a very strong belief that my eyes
will be filled with tears of happiness at being home with God. I also believe that
third kind of tear, welling up from deep inside, will pour down my face. The 
culmination of emotions, uncontrolled, at being in the presence of my God and my
savior, Christ Jesus. No kleenex needed. Saltier the better. Let them flow!!!




No comments:

Post a Comment