Thursday, July 31, 2014

The Devil Made Me Do It!

But I am afraid that, as the serpent deceived Eve by his craftiness, your minds will be led
astray from the simplicity and purity of devotion to Christ.   2 Cor. 11: 3

It's who Eve blamed. He is the great deciever, the father of lies, author of all sin, prince of the power of the air; the names go on and on. He is right there to tempt and make sin look
like an option when it simply is never a good one. 

As I mentioned yesterday, he is often thought of in these times as an afterthought, someone
who really isn't a big deal any more. I had a friend tell me that he felt that 'Satan got a bad rap.' People really don't want to acknowledge his power and his relentless efforts to rest
souls from the path of righteousness, even after it is known that he has been defeated by
the glorious Resurrection of Christ Jesus. His time is limited and he knows it. Yet, he seems
determined to go out swinging and he's swinging at each of us with reckless abandon.

I've used the expression in the title before. Usually it feels somehow a relief to 'blame'
a sinful moment on someone else. Surely it wasn't I who made the choice to do evil, I
must have been duped. Well, not so much. God presented us with a dubious gift when He
gave us free will. We are born with a conscience, knowing right from evil, and we are
totally responsible for each decision we make that leads to sinful behavior. We can blame
it away; yet, we really know that we can stop sinning if it is in our hearts to do so. Easy?
No. Will we be unsuccessful? You betcha. So where does that leave us?

It leaves us with the challenge of calling upon all the help we can muster. The Holy
Spirit within us will gladly draw our attention to slip ups. Prayer before making decisions
is a mighty tool. We need the armor of God upon us because in the end, without the
power of Jesus, we will stray; it's in our nature.

So the devil did not make me do it! I made me do it. First I need to admit this and
give up excuses. I need to strive with all my heart to avoid re-crucifying and adding
sins onto the precious back of glorious Jesus. He died for me to remove my sin account; I need to ever show my appreciation by honoring Him with my best!

Praise God!

No comments:

Post a Comment