Thursday, July 24, 2014

Covenantially speaking.....

Jeremiah 31:31-34 ESV 

“Behold, the days are coming, declares the Lord, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and the house of Judah, not like the covenant that I made with their fathers on the day when I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt, my covenant that they broke, though I was their husband, declares the Lord. But this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, declares the Lord: I will put my law within them, and I will write it on their hearts. And I will be their God, and they shall be my people. And no longer shall each one teach his neighbor and each his brother, saying, ‘Know the Lord,’ for they shall all know me, from the least of them to the greatest, declares the Lord. For I will forgive their iniquity, and I will remember their sin no more.”

Saw a beautiful rainbow this morning! I always enjoyed "rainbow hunting" with my daughter.. it's really a wonderfully predictable science. You need rain drops or moisture and sunlight at a certain angle, and you have it- God's beautiful reminder.

He is, of course, reminding us that He has made a covenant with Noah agreeing never again
to "rain down" His anger for "40 days and 40 nights" with the intent to destroy evil. Oh He
has no problem destroying evil, in fact, at the appropriate time, Christ will return with the
hammer and take care of all evil. 

Covenants are agreements, not unlike contracts, where two sides agree upon something. God's covenants do not require a signature for proof because God never goes against His word.

The Bible is a covenant document.  The Old and New Testaments are really Old and New Covenants.  The word "testament" is Latin for Covenant. 

The Eternal Covenant is the agreement between the Father and the Son regarding the elect, a covenant made before the universe was created that the Father would bring to the Son all who the Father had given Him. The Covenant of Grace is made  between God and man through the work of Christ Jesus to bring eternal salvation to those who trust on Jesus.

So it's all a about how God has chosen to  deal with His creation. There is nothing complicated about the terms, they are spelled out in the Bible. The conditions are quite clear and based upon a loving God who is willing to provide a means of redemption, even to the extent of delivering His only Son as a propitiation. What do we have to do?

Accept the glory and the grace of our Covenant God, Jehovah! He is LORD; He is God!

No comments:

Post a Comment