Tuesday, May 6, 2014

You can't always get what you want....



      For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope. Jeremiah 29: 11

Never was much of a Rolling Stones fan... Beatles, forever, yeah, yeah, yeah! There was
one song, though, that came to my mind the other day that I am quite certain was not
created as a Christian song or lyric.

You Can't Always Get What You Want (Repeat 2)
But if you take some time, you just might find,
That You Get What You Need.    (that's my recollection of the basic lyrics)

The song did have some nice instrumental stuff, particularly as it was ending. The Stones,
it seemed to me, were always in competition with the Beatles and this type of song seemed
to be a response to the changes the Beatles were going through about the time of
Sgt. Peppers.

The lyrics above do, in many ways, mirror the dilemma many folks find in Christianity...
If we give up control to God, we are accepting that what happens to us will be what is in
His sovereign  plan of grace for our lives. It may, in fact, contain some painful experiences
that we certainly wouldn't choose, if we were driving the boat, as it were.

Rich Mullins said it perfectly..

Surrender don't come natural to me
I'd rather fight You for something I don't really want
Than to take what You give that I need

We aren't really aware, many times, of what we need. We tend to take the easy way out,
to looks for the wide road, to wish that all our dreams would come true....yet, how could
we, knowing that we are limited in our ability to see a clear future, really expect to make
the same types of choices that our all-knowing Heavenly Father can make.

He knows what is needed and necessary. His ways are true and righteous. His love for
us is transcendent. Jesus, take the wheel to wherever it leads; we trust in You!

Praise God!




No comments:

Post a Comment