Wednesday, January 29, 2014

The more you pray... the more you will pray!

 But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you. And when you pray, do not keep on babbling like pagans, for they think they will be heard because of their many words. Do not be like them, for your Father knows what you need before you ask him.  Matthew 6: 6-8

Prayer is one of the most fascinating aspects of a Christian's life; the chance to speak freely
and openly with God with the expectation that He is listening and will answer in His way and
in His time.

When I first began to pray, I found it very uncomfortable, even when praying silently by
myself. Being asked to pray in front of others was also very intimidating, at first. I think
that some of this may be the realization that we really come to the Father a bit soiled, to
use a phrase. Why would a Holy God take the time to listen to a sinner? Another aspect,
in my path, was knowing what to pray. I did not wish to treat God like a celestial vending
machine; yet, it seemed that my prayers were often selfish and, more often than not,
given when something was wrong or troubling. Fortunately, I was in a church Sunday
School class where the teacher provided ample opportunities for me to pray. Slowly
I began to be able to do so with more ease and confidence.

The biggest step came when I transitioned from just talking- to realizing that there was
Someone on the other end. It just hit me one day that I was in communication with a
Sovereign God that wished me to pray my heart to Him. I used the fact that I have a key
the church to drive up and kneel in the sanctuary while praying. 

I believe that the Holy Spirit plays a major role in transitioning a new Christian into a
comfort level with prayer. He also has the ability to "change" ones words into ones that
are more acceptable to God; he translates our words into ones glorifying Jesus and God
even as we are speaking them.

So this blog is meant to encourage all to pray, often. I do not want to lower its significance
by calling it a habit, but I do believe that each and every prayer leads to both an ability
to pray more confidently and comfortably and a desire to do so.

Isn't it glorious that our God wants to listen? Can you imagine a more wonderful way to
communicate? Go ahead, pray and pray some more! Pour out your heart, needs and love
for Him. He's listening!

No comments:

Post a Comment