Wednesday, December 11, 2013

What you don't know....

And they sang a new song before the throne and before the four living creatures and the elders. No one could learn the song except the 144,000 who had been redeemed from the earth. Rev. 14:3


It's very embarrassing when I consider how very much I did not know (and
do not know) when it comes to being a Christian. Let's take hymns and singing,
as an example. During the first sixty years of my life, when I attended church
irregularly at best, I would participate in singing hymns with the other
folks, yet I had no clue about the purpose of that singing or those hymns.
Seemed like nice songs. I'm  not the greatest of singers, but I would simply
join in and sing my best. In a lot of cases, I'm not sure I even  bothered to
really consider the words that I was singing.

When I was a a little guy in church I do remember really enjoying listening
to my dad sing. Onward Christina Soldiers is one hymn I distinctly remember
enjoying as I would listen to his voice. It is all about being a soldier for Christ
battling against the powers and minions of Satan. 

Well, much to my embarrassment, I have come to have a revelation, of sorts,
concerning the singing of hymns in church. That singing, those songs and
the whole purpose of participation, is for the glorification and praise of
God. It is a heart-felt, passionate effort to personally praise Him and
please He who has given so much to those undeserving. I have a feeling that
He enjoys this praise even when the singing may fall short, musically.
He is God who has blessed us with Grace and the possibility of one day
being in His presence, for eternity, atoned by the blood of His son that allows
people like me to be righteous with the righteousness of Christ.

The words above, taken from Revelation, reveal that there is a song that
we cannot find in the hymnals at church. Its words are known only by those
who have been taken into heaven already. The number is most likely just
symbolic of "many." I will bet that the song is the most beautiful song ever
heard and the most wonderful song ever sung. I cannot wait to wrap my vocal
chords around it and sing as I have never sung before! Praise God!



No comments:

Post a Comment