Thursday, December 19, 2013

Two steps forward...one step back!

Matthew 5: 12-14
You are the light of the world. A town built on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand and it gives light to everyone in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven.

It's been a frustrating week. As we travel along this road to becoming more like Jesus, we are a Christian work in progress. the "work" being done is being done To us, not By us. That, fortunately, is the blessed job of the Holy Spirit, the worldly active member of the trinity of God. In some cases, there is a lot of work to be done; it's probably not going to be finished anytime soon. I'm talking, here, about me!

This week I was fortunate enough to be challenged, lovingly, by two people who are the love of my life, my daughter and son-in-law. They were loving enough to gently, but firmly, discuss some real issues...sins that were creeping into prominence. I could suggest that I had absolutely no idea that they were showing up in my actions and thoughts, but that would not be true. I realized that they were there, and I was giving into them. I guess that shows that not all sinfulness is hidden, unknown and subtle, even when we truly wish to be living lives of righteousness.

Well, I was so fortunate that they cared enough to "convict" me of these issues; to be honest, I was crestfallen because I do not wish to be sinful! The problem is...I am. We all are. It's our fallen human nature. We move ahead, try hard, pray to be just, and then sin just reappears and slaps us up side the head.What's to be done?

I think the realization that becoming more Christ-like is a long one that requires persistence, giving in to the knowledge that we aren't going to achieve it on our own, praying that we will be open and anxious to repent and turn away when we realize sin has reappeared, are all steps in the process.

The key is Jesus! In remembering what He has done in our behalf.. it is a crucial life goal to please Him. To do that which brings honor and glory to Him. To not pile additional sins on those blessed shoulders or that cross of grace. He deserves better than our sinfulness! He is our Lord and King, worthy of our best.

Pray along with me, that in Jesus' name, the Holy Spirit will bless us with His continuing efforts, His loving guidance, and, when needed, His honest adjustment.

No comments:

Post a Comment