Monday, June 2, 2014

My non-phony testimony

Jesus answered him, “Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born again he cannot see the kingdom of God.”
John 3:3    

Here's how it has gone. I was sprinkle baptized at a very early age. What followed was
sporadic church attendance, including some Sunday School teaching. Amazingly
enough I entered my sixth decade on this earth totally ignorant. Ignorant of simply
the most crucial information out there: information about God, Jesus, Redemption, the
gospel...you get the picture.

God, in His amazing grace, tapped me on the shoulders in a house church in Oxford, Ohio,
where my sweet daughter and eventual husband were going to college. Then events led
to those two getting married, moving to McKinney, Texas and I followed eventually.
I attended the little church (big things come in small packages!) where Matthew's family
attended and the journey began.

Now, Bruce, one of the elders, was rather adamant about my being baptized, so adamant
that it was quickly scheduled and completed. My son-in-law did the honors and there
I was, baptized. I repeated the words that I believed in the Jesus, the Son of God and
wished to give my life to Him. And I did.....

But where were the bells and whistles? Where were the fireworks, streamers, party
horns... those feelings, inside, that would lead me to believe that a change had been
made? They weren't there. I was a bit shocked and disappointed. I really, in my heart,
had no faith at that point...did not know Jesus at that point and just felt weird.

Well... what followed was a slow progression of blessing. I began attending a Sunday
school class, led by a wonderful friend who loves donuts, and he began to teach me many
things that I found myself wanting to learn. I attended the services on Sunday and
was blessed by a great "pastor," began attending men's Bible sessions on Wednesday
evenings and found myself more and more comfortable. 

Let me cut, here, to the chase. As this progression continued, the Holy Spirit was
at work within my heart. Still no bells and whistles; yet, I could tell in small, subtle
ways that things were changing. 

From the moments after a baptism, that may have happened too quickly, to where
I am now, there has been a great change. Suddenly, I have NO doubt that I love and
adore my Lord and Savior Jesus. I have NO doubt that I have been forgiven my sins
and NO doubt that the words of the Bible are the truth and those of God, Himself.

No bells and whistles but lots of wonderful joy, assurance and "faith." Yes, faith.
And all of this happened in God's good time and with God's love and grace. How very
very lucky am I! All of these wonderful folks who have guided and cared for me are
my family and I will, one day, dwell in God's house with them for a very long time.

It's a story that may be like others; the point is that it's a story that is waiting for
anyone who kneels down and asks Jesus to come in. I hope you will do so, today, if
you haven't already. That's a fervent hope!

Praise God!





No comments:

Post a Comment