Friday, April 25, 2014

We're only as strong as our weaknesses

But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness. Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me.  2 Corinth. 9

Well, as some of you might know, I am a retired English teacher of many years. As I get
further away from the classroom, I am less bothered by poor English usage and form.
Now, being a practicing Christian, thanks to a loving God who sought me, I find the hairs
on my neck standing up when I hear someone say, "Well God promised that He would
never give me more than I can handle."

No He didn't! That's a close approximation to a scripture that talks about God's protection
against tempting His creatures. It only stands to reason that if our God denied Paul's
request that his 'thorn' be taken away, actually three requests, and if even Christ Jesus
was denied having the cup removed that faced Him as He prayed three times in the garden of Gethsemane, He will probably deny us at times when we face adversity.

Adversity is part of life, and since God is in complete control of our life's path, that
adversity is purposely, if painfully, placed. Why? Well without weakness in facing some of
the things that this life throws at us, why would we even need a God? Being of the
mind that we are quite capable of handling whatever might occur brings pride and
self-sufficiency. Besides being totally opposed to the relationship God wants with us,
it opens that squeaking, nasty doorway to our arch enemy, Satan, himself. He wills
us to pride, to believe that we are not in need of the grace of God.

Our hardest times certainly don't measure up to the beatings, stoning, death threats
and numerous other maladies that faced Paul in his ministry. Yet even then, God saw
fit to add a thorn to Paul's life. A thorn of humility that Paul eventually saw as a means
to steadfastness and strength from God.

Weakness is strength when our lives turn to the encompassing grace of God almighty.
He wants our dependence. He wants our trust. He will answer by being there with us
to guide and strengthen us as we, inevitably, face the challenges this life will bring.

Jesus, in so many ways, turned this world upside down. We, in our weakness,
can find glorious strength in a Holy, Loving God!

Praise Him!


No comments:

Post a Comment