Monday, August 18, 2014

Thomas...you need doubt no more!

John 20:2424 Now Thomas (also known as Didymus[a]), one of the Twelve, was not with the disciples when Jesus came. 25 So the other disciples told him, “We have seen the Lord!”
But he said to them, “Unless I see the nail marks in his hands and put my finger where the nails were, and put my hand into his side, I will not believe.”
26 A week later his disciples were in the house again, and Thomas was with them. Though the doors were locked, Jesus came and stood among them and said, “Peace be with you!” 27 Then he said to Thomas, “Put your finger here; see my hands. Reach out your hand and put it into my side. Stop doubting and believe.”
28 Thomas said to him, “My Lord and my God!”

Ah, faith!  It's very easy to talk and write about, but it isn't all that easy to have. As an
English teacher, one of the things that I stressed in research and just knowledge-searching
was the need to use primary sources. These would be sources of information that were
actually present, that actually saw or experienced events first hand. The internet is full
of sources, but primary sources are preferable even though they decrease as time
separates the event from the present.

My namesake, Thomas, was one who, despite the joy and excitement of the other
disciples, found it very hard to believe what they were telling him. How could his
Lord, who hung lifeless and seemingly defeated on a cross, suddenly have reawakened
and come to see them. No... Thomas would believe only when he was able to see,
first hand and touch with his own hands. Of course, that is exactly what transpired,
giving life to that famous expression, "My Lord and My God!"

Jesus would go on to define real faith.....
29 Then Jesus told him, “Because you have seen me, you have believed; blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed.

That's the key; believing that which cannot be seen or touched through faith granted,
honestly, by the Holy Spirit. We, being human, want desperately to hang onto that
empirical crutch; we want to see, touch, experience before we believe. The process
of becoming less dependent is one that happened, to me, gradually. But when it
did happen, I knew that I believed. No more doubting, Thomas.

Oh the joy of knowing in your heart that Jesus Christ died for your salvation,
eliminating sin as your life force, changing you into an adopted son of God,
emancipated from the condemnation of God. The veil is torn, access is
granted all for the sake of asking Jesus into ones heart. Reconciliation from
judgment. 

How glorious is our God! 

No comments:

Post a Comment