Wednesday, February 26, 2014

A Relatively dumb position!

See now that I, even I, am he,
and there is no god beside me;
I kill and I make alive;
I wound and I heal;
and there is none that can deliver out of my hand.
(Deuteronomy 32:39)

My God is the God of ______. Fill in the blank if you are a proponent of relativism. It
is the idea that one belief, one set of truths, one set of morals, indeed anything, is no
better than another. No absolute truth, here! Nothing 'written in stone,' nothing to 'take
to the bank,' no standards to guide us. 

I can, under this type of philosophy, establish for myself what God is to be for me and
my life. In a sense, I, the created, will create or re-create God to fit into what I believe
He should be. The reason is that someone else's concept or belief in what God ought to
be is not better, at the end of the day, than is mine. I suppose that ought to be somehow
comforting...but it is NOT!

Scripture suggests that God is not really too thrilled when man, Job as an example, attempts
to define or limit Him. The Holiness of God makes Him different and unique from all
of His creation. For anyone to limit His qualities or abilities or power to do what is His
will is barking up the wrong tree. (This blog is full of cliche!)

God, through His word, revealed Himself to mankind in ways that he, man, could
begin to understand. I think it would be prideful to believe that we really can
understand Him...we have to take what he has revealed and try to learn as much
about Him as, basically, he has allowed us to learn. This does not suggest that we can
define Him, only that he has gracefully granted us a look at who He is.

The attributes of God are found in the scriptures. The glory of God is apparent in
His creation. He is many things: Holy, sovereign, majestic, omnipresent. omniscient,
loving... the list goes on. None of these is available for giving more weight than
another; we cannot choose one and define God as being that one characteristic.

I am not interested in making God what I would want Him to be. He already is
everything I want Him to be. He is my Lord and my God and it is my job to
glorify Him in what I do.

I'm just blessed that he reaches out to His creation and wishes to be in relationship
to it. 

Praise Him!

No comments:

Post a Comment