Tuesday, December 29, 2015

Now I lay me...

down to sleep
I pray the Lord my soul to keep

If I should die before I awake
I pray the Lord my soul to take.

God bless:
Amen

It was an every night, on the knees, prayer the preceded being tucked into bed
and sung to by my father. I am sure that the words meant nothing to me even
though I am quite sure that my parents tried to explain things. As I look back
and look at now, I have become aware of the significance of this prayer for
God's provision.

We are never more vulnerable than we are when asleep! We are at the mercy
of a God who has provided for our bodies to somehow be able to arise in the
morning with eyes that would open and joints that would function. We are
also at the mercy of the evil one who probably could care less about our safety
and who would stop at nothing to influence us whether conscious or not.
Even as children we just assume that we will awaken to a new day or a late-
night trip to the fridge. 

It is faith that allows us to drift off; and it is fact that we may, in actuality,
not awaken to a new day; we may awaken from a soul's journey to either be
with the Lord or to Sheol. Regardless, we are not in control of our awakening
outcome. Just as we assume that the sun will rise on a new day, we assume
that we will arise in safety.

I have come to, once again, pray to my Father in heaven each night. I am
asking Him the same basic things that the childhood prayer was asking; for
His provision. I am His creature and He is in charge. My days are as
pages in a book and there will come a final page. I just want Him to know
that I wish for His will to be done. I cherish His sovereignty and loving-
kindness and am fully aware that I am His.

Praise our God!

No comments:

Post a Comment